Re: adding MuseScore to primary list?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Christopher Antila wrote:

I'm a huge fan of MuseScore and would like to have this as part of the
primary software for Fedora Jam. What are peoples thoughts on MuseScore?
Is it only me that would prefer to have it to having
lilypond/frescobaldi. Let the discussion begin :)

1.) MuseScore is not a substitute for LilyPond. Both applications have the
same end goal, but they represent very different ways of getting there. Why not
include both?

+1
And MuseScore can even export to LilyPond.
Rosegarden can also export to LilyPond.

3.) The problem is the Frescobaldi package uses rumour, which uses fluidsynth,
which has a dependency on a SoundFont package, which is very large (120 MB or
137 MB depending which one). If we're going to ship FluidSynth anyway, then
LilyPond+Frescobaldi isn't that much extra burden.

AFAIK Frescobaldi 2.x does not use rumour anymore. It uses portmidi for MIDI playback. It can use Fluidsynth for MIDI playback, but it can just as well use timidity, or an external hardware synth

4.) We could always ask the frescobaldi package maintainer (Brendan Jones) to
remove the dependency on FluidSynth.
See 3)

6.) Krescobaldi is a bad idea unless we already plan to ship KDE.

IMO Krescobaldi is a bad idea, period. Wilbert Berendsen has put a lot of work in Frescobaldi's transition from KDE to Qt, and is still actively working on the project. Krescobaldi would be stepping backwards.

7.) In summary, let's have both.
+1

--

MT