Re: Audio spin media

On 25 May 2012 03:19, Christopher R. Antila <crantila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/24/2012 09:25 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>> Jorn's posts this week have got me thinking about what we should
>> be aiming for in terms of install media. As others have noted
>> before a CD sized spin is kind of outdated, and I wondered whether
>> we were in fact bound by this. So I raised it with releng on IRC
>> and we are not.
> Thinking is dangerous. That's why we do it!
>
>> In light of this I propose that we abandon the idea of a 'lite'
>> spin complemented by a larger DVD version, and just focus on one
>> Live image.
>>

> So... let's have only one version, make it as small as possible, and
> certainly ensure it fits on one CD! This obviously means we won't have
> many applications installed by default, but I don't see that as a
> problem for two reasons:
> 1.) the applications aren't the reason for the Spin, it's the integration.
> 2.) I don't know about you, but I don't use everything we've been
> thinking of putting on the spin, so why should everybody have to
> download everything?
>
> It's always a question of compromise and balance.

As a potential end user (but not a professional musician), I'd be asking either:
1. Why I'd want to use this spin rather than just normal Fedora (which
is the position I'm actually in, as I have a Fedora desktop anyway).
2. Why I'd want to use this spin full stop.
As an awkward poster on the internet I'll also ask:
3. What's the difference to Planet CCRMA?

That is, what's its raison d'être? Is it just an easy way to supply a
good selection of the fedora-music packages (which isn't to be sniffed
at in itself - it is useful to have all the tools in one place,
especially if it means you discover ones you didn't know about)? Is it
going to try and provide a specific environment (e.g. Jack / Pulse
already set up, low latency kernels)? Is it going to try and promote a
specific workflow? It's really question 2. you probably want to
answer. For me, already using Fedora as a main desktop and not in need
of a dedicated audio setup, I'm unlikely to switch over to the audio
spin. There might be a bit of trade-off in choosing a specific
audience to target against producing a very well tailored workflow, or
perhaps there wont.

Random suggestion that may be completely irrelevant: what would need
to be included to match the functionality of GarageBand? It'd probably
be limiting if that was the only aim of the spin, but it might be a
good thing to have.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk