Re: mscore-1.2

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 05:30 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Martin Tarenskeen  wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Will mscore be updated to version 1.2 in Fedora 16 and 17 ?
>>>

>> Hi, it won't be updated to 1.2 in Fedora 16 because the update breaks
>> the user configuration files created by 1.1 that are stored in the
>> home directory.
>

> Hmmm, I would normally not consider that a showstopper for upgrades... or is
> that because of the Fedora policy for upgrades?

I would not either. But there is a policy against behavior change
through updates[1]. A novice user, after doing a yum update, will end
up with a non-functional mscore unless we ship it with wrapper script
to clean up the config file(s) only once on start up after an update.
But no matter how we write this script, it will be too hacky, and we
might end up destroying user configuration data without the user
consent. I just took the safest path. Advanced users can always
download the Fedora 17 SRPM and build it on their Fedora 16 systems.

By the way, Fedora 17 is just around the corner.

Cheers,
Orcan
[1] somewhere buried in  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy