Re: Content Packaging

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Brian Monroe <briancmonroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've had conversations with others about packaging content material for the
> Audio spin and it doesn't seem like that currently possible with how things
> are packed in Fedora.
>
> I know we don't quite have our package list together at this point, but I
> think there's a need for decent content for some of the plugins like
> samplers, reverbs, drumloops and the like. I think the more stuff like this
> we have available immediately for the audio spin, the more end users we're
> going to attract. Even presets for things like graphic EQs and the like.
> Anything to make less hassle for users...
>
> Anyone else feel this way, or am I alone in my line of thought? I may be
> easily persuaded after seeing it from another's point of view and I wonder
> how important it is in the large scheme of things.
>
> On a side note, I have sourceforge project that we could host content at if
> needed. (hurray for unlimited bandwith and drive space for large files) I
> know we're a ways off in implementing something like this, but it's not too
> soon to start gathering resources for it.

I think RPM is fundamentally unsuitable for managing large amounts of,
lets call it "general content". It's purely designed for system-wide
resources, mostly designed for executables, and I don't think that's
really a good way to handle general content. It means stuff goes in
/usr/share which means /usr/share will potentially grow without limit,
which complicates partitioning. It means a user has to have
administrator access to install, update and remove stuff. It means
such content is subject to the Fedora release cycle, and update
bureaucracy. While doing it through RPM is not completely unworkable,
I think it can be done better.

I think what we really need, in addition to RPM, is something more
like iTunes/Steam/Google Play/Xbox Live/etc, something that will
manage content inside a user's home directory rather than system wide.
Everything would be stored somewhere under /home/, which is already
expected to grow without limit. And administrator access would no
longer be required. And such content would no longer be tied to the
Fedora release cycle.

If there's a need for such content to be available to more than one
user, we should do it through some kind of shared user directory,
stuff can go in something like /home/Public/{Music,Photos,Videos,etc},
and we add UI to make it easily accessible. Windows has been doing
this kind of thing for a while now.

This is an area where Fedora is WAY behind Apple, Microsoft, Sony,
Nintendo, Valve and even Google.

We need DLC!