Re: Good hardware specs for a "Fedora Music" box?

Hi:

What do you plan to do with your audio workstation? As you can
imagine, editing one file with Audacity is very different from running
a SuperCollider server for many users while simultaneously recording
its output with Ardour *and* broadcasting it on the Internet.
A very good point indeed.

I would like to be able to record stuff from guitar, midi-keyboard, microphone, DJ setup (via line input I suppose), and then edit the results with the appropriate applications. Not all at once, but maybe 1-3 inputs at a time. The ability to play in real-time through the computer's output would be very important I think as I reckon it's much harder to work any other way.

That's all I can think of right now. I currently have an SB Live with the LiveDrive thing, which has all the inputs I need, but I am thinking in terms of general system horsepower (RAM/CPU/disk etc). Finding a supported sound card it's really a problem, I'll just go with M-Audio for that. But I would like to know if I need to get one to do what I want.

K.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian. E: kyrian@ore.org WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/
Linux/Security Contractor/LAMP Coder/ISP, via http://www.orenet.co.uk/

Human Rights left unattended may be Removed, or Destroyed, or Damaged
                    by the Security Services.