Re: Low Latency vs. Real Time Kernel

Response below.

On 02/15/2012 12:49 AM, Brian Monroe wrote:
> I just think it'd be neat to give someone all the tools they need for
> audio creation, with little to no configuration (like a custom kernel)
>
> On a side note, I think Macs have ... not that nerdy.
>
> Now I'm just thinking out loud with this, and I don't know what the
> fedora culture is like but even if we could get it into standard repos
> would be a big deal. Even if that means we don't ship with the kernel
> installed, call it an "unstable-testing" kernel or something, that would
> be a big win for making things more practical for people using fedora
> for audio. I think people would try using it if there was ease of access.

The last time we considered an alternative kernel, somebody found rules
on the Fedora wiki saying that, if we want to be an official Fedora
Spin, we must use the official Fedora kernel.

In my opinion, our best bet for kernel latency is our current path:
build a Spin with the standard kernel, then make it easy to get the
Planet CCRMA kernel installed.

<hijack>

I hoped the "Musicians' Guide" [0] would help with the "making easy"
part. But after three releases, I haven't noticed a significant change
in the Fedora audio community. Worse still, the list of things I want to
revise keeps getting longer, while most of the document is still a first
draft. It's not as fun or glamorous, but all copy-editing help or
errors-pointing-out is appreciated.

</hijack>

Regards,
Christopher.