Re: Getting started?

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 18:08 +0930, Ant wrote:
> Ive been on this list for a while, and have noted that its been somewhat
> quiet. So i've just googled Ardour seeing it mentioned and it looks
> great! Ive kept googling, and there seems to be a hole where FC6 is.
> Like many probably I currently run FC6, and according to most references
> up to FC5 is supported, although there is a couple of mentions of FC7.
>
> Do the packages exist for FC6, and if so, where? Can anyone recommend a
> couple of good apps to take a look at?

Ardour 0.99.3 is available in Fedora Extras for FC6, you should be able
to install it with Yum or Pirut if you are connected to the Internet,
something like:

	# yum install ardour

> I also have a couple of musically inclined friends who I recently built
> a PC for, and set it up with FC6 and Windows. It lives in the room with
> their keyboards, midi and other music gear etc, and now they have
> accidentally trashed the windows install and say that FC6 runs great and
> they're happy to keep using it only. They say its better for uni work
> and the interface is easyer to use than 'doze. They just wish Cubase or
> Sibelius ran on it. I'd love to get some good linux music apps on there
> for them to try (and have a bit of a play with myself)!

For sequencing there are a number of options, I tend to use Rosegarden:

	http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

There are others as well: Muse and Seq24 for example.  Installing
Rosegarden would be:

	# yum install rosegarden4

To blow my own trumpet, I've written a very basic beginners guide to
making music on Fedora which is available from the Red Hat Magazine:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/02/15/professional-audio-with-fedora-core-6/

One day I'll write part two dealing with Rosegarden...

Keith.