Re: Fedora Music Update

Luke Macken wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:29:20PM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
* JAMENDO STREAMS IN RHYTHMBOX FOR FC6 (lmacken).  It should be relatively
simple to get Rhythmbox, default music player in FC6, to stream Ogg music
out of the box.  One of the strongest sources for free Ogg content is
jamendo.com.  (Laurent, we may ask for your help here.)

As far as I can tell, Jamendo does not have any sort of per-category/tag
streaming.  It seems like the most you can do for a category is 'Listen
to the albums of this page', which just dynamically generates an m3u
that points directly to a handfull of oggs.
Looks like it to me.  Something like this URL
http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/list/album/page/plain/?tag=electronica

Which will get you a list of albums tagged electronica. Retrieving more than "plain" would get you all the albums ogg files, artwork, or other stuff.
I'm not sure of the best way to integrate Jamendo into Rhythmbox in the
short-term (the plugin would be the long term solution).  Laurent, any
ideas ?
Perhaps if you already had the downloading of the ogg files to a specified directory say in a separate little python program. You could just add that directory to Rhythmbox since I believe it does an imported directory watch for file changes? Then I guess you'd just need to have an auto-playlist that looks in that path for files. A Rube Goldberg contraption of music craziness that just might work...
* RHYTHMBOX PLUG-IN EXPERIMENTATION (lmacken, ssalevan). Jamendo has some great xmlrpc calls. We'd like to hook into them so that Rhythmbox can show artist info -- maybe even in the notifications field for Rhythmbox. Like, say, where an artist will be playing, or where you can buy a t-shirt. Mostly, we'll just be playing around to figure out how this will work. Luke/Steve, it might be worth finding some CVS space in Fedora-land if other people are interested in this.

We can probably do some pretty cool stuff with this.  I haven't looked
at the API in great detail, but it doesn't look like there is a way to
retrieve album covers?
It looks like they have an API to get Album covers
http://wiki.jamendo.com/index.php/EnMusicApi#Get_the_cover_of_the_album_116

From their page it looks all requests are handled by building a URL with the correct parameters.

   A sample request : Get all the tracks from the album with ID 33 :
   http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/id/album/audio/plain/33/
   The addresses are built this way :
   www.jamendo.com/get/_TARGETUNIT_/_LOADMETHOD_/_PARAMUNIT_/_TARGET_/_FORMAT_/