Re: article

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 02:45:18PM -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Max Spevack wrote:
>
> >Found these a few levels of linking off of slashdot.
> >
> >http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050504/1041227.shtml
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/8atv2 [usatoday.com]
> >
> Quite some time ago (2003), there was a young fellow in Ghana.  He had
> no computer, and as with so many in Africa, had to choose between eating
> a meal, or checking his email.  After great effort, and with some help,
> he managed to collaborate with Robert Lazaneo, a songwriter from Reno,
> Nevada, and create a song file that folks could download and listen to.
> Without Fedora, it probably wouldn't have happened.
>
> As Fedora and CCRMA collaborate, there's no question that this story
> will become all too commonplace.  The world will hear the voices and
> talents of millions that would never have a chance, otherwise.  And, who
> benefits?  Everyone but the corporate thugs, I think.

This is where Fedora needs to step in to provide not only the
production tools, but the integration of those tools with a collaborative
framework.

A quote from the usatoday article above brings up a good point:

    "The vast majority of music artists bob along in the middle. They don't
     sell enough CDs to earn out their advances. They earn a living on the
     road and maybe from publishing royalties if they write songs. Such
     artists would benefit if the industry shifted to a model that includes
     more — and more innovative — ways for artists to make money."

In order to obsolete the existence of a 'Record Label', a model needs to
be created that will allow an industry for musicians to make money and
prevail based on the quality of their work, not by the amount of money
that is backing them up from a record label.  This would allow artists
to actually -be- artists and travel around the world spreading their
music, instead of working some bullshit job and begging record labels
to get signed (which has always been ground zero for any band).

luke