Re: Some notes from a cool meeting at RH today

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 22:08 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Yeah, this is a bit lacking in context. What are we going for here?
>
> Music already has a solid standard, MIDI. Though what is sadly lacking
> is a MIDI over IP implementation. The IETF is working on MWPP but I
> haven't been able to dig up any implementations. I'm surprised its
> taking so long.

[late on this thread, but still...] MIDI is a standard and solid and has
been around for a long time. But it would be (from my point of view) a
very limited standard for collaboration. It does not define the sound,
it is just a protocol that controls note based instruments - of course
you can say, "piano", but that is a one word description of a very
complex instrument, and it gets worse when you have to deal with
non-note based instrument (say, wind instruments).

-- Fernando