Re: [Fedora-music-list] intro and questions

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 17:22 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Hello, All:  Pleased to see activity on the list.  I work with a small
> group on Open Studios, a nonprofit relying on both Fedora and CCRMA to
> provide multimedia capability for users.  Our target audience lies
> mainly with independent musicians, inner-city neighborhoods, nonprofits,
> etc., that are looking for multimedia capability, but generally lack
> money to purchase proprietary products.
>
> Greg mentions that one topic of high interest is discussing how Fedora
> and CCRMA can work together to create multimedia capability in a way
> that benefits everyone involved.  My first question to the list, and
> Fernando, is, what applications are on the short list (if there is one
> at this point) for moving to Fedora Extras?

The most important "enabler" application is the Jack Audio Connection
Kit sound server. Pretty much everything of value for audio and music is
a client to Jack, so without Jack we are stuck.

Adding Jack to extras brings up a couple of points:

- a proper kernel, whatever that is. The normal Fedora Core is probably
fine as long as you do not need very low latencies (ie: just a guess, >
15 milliseconds).

- instructions on how to get access to realtime priority and memory
locking as a normal non-root user (involves
editing /etc/security/limits.con).

Without the first (a good kernel) users that lower latencies to smaller
numbers will get xruns from alsa. Without the second Jack is not very
usable, you really want realtime priority - Planet CCRMA comes with a
patched pam that has that enabled by default.

> Also, what is the present
> recommendation for users that have installed Fedora and CCRMA to
> maintain both up-to-date?

Which FC? FC4 I guess? Hmmm, there may be some overlaps with Extras that
are not completely compatible, I have not checked in a while. Have you
had problems?

-- Fernando