Re: error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My first discussion re packaging.
>
> I get this error now a bit of googling and finding that on the mailing
> list it relates to an error where the files installed are not listed in
> the files section.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is my understanding, Marc.

> If thats the case that all files installed have to be listed in the
> files section how do people go about installing python packages.  My
> direct example which I'll list here for completeness of the question is
> because in my circumstance there is not a build for this python package
> using the standard tools.

> <<snip example>>

> Its basically a script to install all the necessary files into the
> respective locations.  The actual running of the program is a bash
> script file that runs it using the python -OO /usr/share/rufus/rufus.py
>
> Am I going about this the completely wrong way?

What you pasted looks good, but it's incomplete.  If your example is a
portion of an RPM .spec file, would you attach that .spec file in a return
email?  That will help in analysis.

In my experience with the "black art" of RPM packaging, the best way I
have found to learn about it is to read RPM .spec files and to play with
rpmbuild on already-existing packages made by Red Hat or others.

Perhaps what you are trying to do here is a similar kind of Python
packaging that is done in the python-chm library & script in Fedora
Extras?  I am enclosing the spec-file from
"python-chm-0.8.2-2.fc5.src.rpm" from FC5 extras.  Maybe it will help to
study it a little bit -- or even download that .src.rpm and play with it a
bit.

Gnochm from FC5 extras might also be helpful to look at.

You may also wish to look around on http://www.rpm.org/ -- they have an
RPM FAQ as well as the "Maximum RPM" text which may help explain some
more.  I believe <http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/build.html#FILES> talks
more about your specific question.

Hope this helped, Marc.

	Regards,
	David Eisenstein
%{!?python_sitearch: %define python_sitearch %(%{__python} -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)")}

Name:           python-chm
Version:        0.8.2
Release:        2%{?dist}

Group:          Development/Languages
License:        GPL
Source0:        http://dl.sf.net/gnochm/pychm-%{version}.tar.gz
BuildRoot:      %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

BuildRequires:  python-devel
BuildRequires:  chmlib-devel
Requires:   python-abi = %(%{__python} -c "import sys ; print sys.version[:3]")

%description
The python chm package provides three modules, chm, chmlib and extra,
which provide access to the API implemented by the C library chmlib
and some additional classes and functions. They are used to access
MS-ITSS encoded files - Compressed Html Help files (.chm).

%prep
%setup -q -n pychm-%{version}

%build
CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" %{__python} setup.py build

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
%{__python} setup.py install -O1 --skip-build --root $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc COPYING NEWS README
%dir %{python_sitearch}/chm/
%{python_sitearch}/chm/*.py
%{python_sitearch}/chm/*.pyc
%{python_sitearch}/chm/*.so
%ghost %{python_sitearch}/chm/*.pyo

%changelog
* Sun Mar 12 2006 Patrice Dumas <pertusus@xxxxxxx> 0.8.2-2
- Fedora Extras submission, loosely based on Dag.