Re: [commops] Students as a marketing/outreach audience (Reviving the University Outreach Objective?)

On 06/21/2017 09:25 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> At the Fedora Council meeting today, Eduard mentioned work from both
> CommOps and Marketing to reach out to universities and students. This
> is cool, but I'd *really* like to see it in concert with reviving the
> University Outreach objective (which sort of trailed off when Remy
> moved on). Additionally, I'd like to make sure we align this with the
> audiences identified by the Editions -- "students" alone is very broad!
> -- and with the revised Fedora mission statement.

To give a late follow-up to this, there were a few different directions
this was trailing towards, broadly underneath the initiative, but
lacking any formal cohesion. This is a long topic, but I'll try to keep
it really short.

=== Campus Ambassadors ===

One angle of this was to revive the Campus Ambassadors program by
actively involving an academic presence at three universities for each
region (as detailed in the original plans for the Initiative). This
ticket is currently assigned to FAmSCo and can be found here:

    https://pagure.io/famsco/issue/423

=== CommOps: Student kit ===

The discussion in CommOps was creating a student "kit" of resources,
similar to the GitHub Student Pack, except filled with technical
resources available in Fedora's infrastructure for people to use (sort
of like a Developer Portal but targeted to students). The idea had a
primary and secondary objective:

* Primary: Provide tools / services helpful to university students
working on open source
* Secondary: Get students familiar with Fedora resources, community,
ecosystem

The longer ticket with this information is here (although it has
stagnated a bit):

    https://pagure.io/fedora-commops/issue/70

=== Marketing: EDU as target audience ===

It's been a while since I've been caught up on Marketing, but the idea
as I remember it was trying to focus in creating a marketable platform
for Fedora that's targeted to university computer science / IT students
(think of "Fedora <3 Python" into "Fedora <3 Students"). I'm not sure
where discussion has gone with this recently, and I have a lot of
catching up to do for that, but maybe someone else more informed could
fill the gap.

=== Unifying these things ===

Ideally, all of these efforts would fit nicely underneath the University
Involvement Initiative, but the feedback we received before was to tie
these efforts into the Initiative, but it felt like a driver-less car.
It isn't clear to contributors about how to tie these projects into the
Initiative because there isn't anyone actively leading development
forward on it as of today. I think there is a lot of momentum to
accomplish these tasks, but it felt like a showstopper when we tried to
"upstream" the work into the Initiative since it didn't feel like there
was anyone to communicate or work with.

Any guidance or best practice to do this going forward would be
extremely helpful for focusing these projects together under the
Initiative. :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory