Re: dnf update args and wiki update

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 01:54 +0300, Catalin wrote:
> Dear team.
>
> About dnf -help under I used fc25 .
> I don't see the update argument output of command: dnf --help.
> The dnf  args is in progress ?

Officially the command is 'upgrade', and 'update' is just a 'deprecated
alias'. This is made explicit in 'man dnf':

   Upgrade Command
       dnf [options] upgrade
              Updates each package to the latest version that is both available and resolvable.

   Update Command
       dnf [options] update
              Deprecated alias for the Upgrade Command.

The 'dnf --help' output, being shorter, only lists the 'official' name
- 'upgrade' - and doesn't mention 'update'.

> Also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade is not updated.
> Most users do not know all the changes and do not have time to dig. We
> should therefore updated with the changes.

What changes? This is not new, and doesn't have anything to do with
'system upgrade', which is a different command. AFAIK there is nothing
wrong with any of the instructions on that page, they apply fully to
current Fedora.

Unless you just mean that the page said 'dnf update' not 'dnf upgrade',
in which case yeah, I guess theoretically it should have said
'upgrade'. But practically speaking I doubt they'll ever be able to
remove the 'deprecated alias' from dnf, since it'll be in about a
bajillion people's scripts (and we're all still used to it from 'yum
update', and anyway 'update' is a much better word than 'upgrade' so
they're just wrong anyway, jeez, c'mon folks). And again, this is not
new, dnf has claimed that update is 'deprecated' since 2012:

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/commit/91a92b01172ce03ff2cc8836622842c48534d905
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey