Re: New Magazine theme

On 03/11/2015 11:44 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
I think youre going to get a better site overall by making a choice
rather than straddling the two audiences. There is such a dearth of
Fedora user-focused content in general I really think better to make
fedoramag for them since they need it. You could better serve
contributors with some curation on planet.fpo (display planet.fpo
curated by default?) or by getting individuals already listed on
planet to make more better posts. (And the hubs, when they are ready
:) )

+1 here too.

FWIW I brought up the dilemma between user and contributor that we're talking about here to Rikki Endsley, who has a ton of experience as a magazine publish & managing editor for a bunch of publications like Ubuntu User, Linux Pro Magazine, SysAdmin magazine, etc. ... I thought with her experience she'd probably run into similar dilemmas and might have some good advice / words of wisdom.

She agreed that having the magazine focus on one audience would make it stronger and that Fedora's contributors don't really need a magazine - she recommended focusing on howto articles, tutorials, lists of best apps, tips/tricks, updating advice and that kind of content with a strong user focus.

Re underground silo.... what kinds of critical contributor content
are you most concerned about?  would planet.fpo not serve that
content well?

If the concern is that planet posts are fleeting, could we stand up
another wp - very informal - for the contrib focused stuff... but no
front end, brand identity, or anything, just an rss feed to be
slurped into planet but the posts / comments / stats would be stored
in the wp?

This is an interesting idea; does it mean that we would route *only*
contributor-focused articles to Planet?  I actually think that could
be smart to improve Planet relevance/coherence.

It could mean that :) If we did that I'd suggest maybe a prominent link to Fedora Magazine from Planet somewhere (so the contributors know where to point their friends who use Fedora, and also so if a user ends up at Planet Fedora they find a place that is more helpful for them?)

~m