Re: F21 media

Matthew Miller píše v Čt 04. 09. 2014 v 12:38 -0400:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 04:33:48PM +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > That's a question. I wrote off physical media for the cloud product
> > right away, but I'm not sure about the server. We didn't reach a
> > consensus in FAmSCo. Some say they have installed server OSes from a DVD
> > recently. That's why we asked Christoph to reach out to the server
>
> Random thought: What if we ship the server as a preconfigured VM on the
> workstation media?

This sounds like an interesting idea to me. I have no idea how it would
behave and if it'd be usable running Fedora live, but it's worth trying.

> In general, I think it would be nice to target our media giveaways to the
> audience.
>
> If we're reaching out to developers (DevOps Days, Velocity), Workstation
> media makes sense. (With or without the server VM idea).
>
> For LISA, the developer desktop target isn't going to be so interesting, and
> maybe server media would indeed be valuable. Although from last year, most
> people taking the media were looking to try it on their laptops, or just
> collecting souvenirs -- people who were really interested in doing a Fedora
> server deploy would mostly do a network install. (I guess the question is
> whether that "souvenir" install media would actually sometimes convince
> people to try it where they wouldn't otherwise, because, hey, I've got it
> already with no need hunt for the download link or to find a blank USB stick
> or DVD.)
>
> If we feel like we have the budget for it, *and* people are willing to make
> and test it, I don't think it hurts to have the multi-desktop DVD available
> for distribution where we feel like the targetted message won't resonate
> anyway. I guess I'm mostly thinking of LUGs where the userbase is mostly
> interested in tinkering and trying multiple desktops is more of a draw.
> Actually, LISA might be an example of that too -- although "you can
> net-install from this and pick the desktop of your choice" would probably
> satisfy.

Ok, let me put the ideas in the cost perspective:
In EMEA if we order 5000 DVDs of one kind (same content, same graphics)
we pay ~ $1750.
If we order 1000 DVDs then the price is ~$800.

So if we for example order 5 different DVDs, 1000 pieces each, the total
price will be: $4000.

That's a significant difference considering it's just one region. Yes,
it'd be great to have different media for different audiences, but is it
really worth the money? Are DVDs as installation media still so
important?
It's a dying technology. Yes, we should continue produce them for the
time being because it's the only economically viable physical media, but
I think we should keep the selection rather simple and don't invest too
much into it.
I don't think it's a big deal if something is not shipped on DVDs. It's
just one of distribution channels, one that is less and less important.

Jiri