Re: New fedora magazine theme WIP

On 06/09/2014 05:31 PM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
On Mon 09 Jun 2014 17:09:39 EDT, Ruth Suehle wrote:
Aesthetically, I like it, but as a user, I hate sites like this that make me try to figure out what's new. It's more or less in rows, but not quite, and I can't just scroll down a list.

Do you have any examples of what you would rather see?

A couple of ideas for the 'which ones did i already read?' concern:

- use a cookie (or some kind of a:visited hack?) to slightly grey out items the user has already seen or mark as new those they haven't seen

- show the past 2 days / 3 days / 1 week's / whatever worth of posts in a full-width vertical column; anything older than that is in the 3-column grid

I feel like something around the latter one would be the better approach since it's less hacky - the first one doesn't work so well if the user is on multiple devices and doesn't sync their history or whatever across them.

The latter idea kind of splits the site into this week's content vs stuff from the past that is probably pretty interesting. Actually as sad as it is it reminds me of the format of those terriblee "zomg this pony made friends with a parakeet and you'll never believe what happens next!" link bait sites...

So look at upworthy's front page:

http://www.upworthy.com/

But see nobody sees the front page - they happen upon the site bc of link bait so they enter from a specific article. Once they get you in, they want you to stick around. So this kind of grid layout is to try to get the user to browse within an article they already clicked through to, to hopefully show something that grabs their attention and keeps them on the site.

Huffington is similar - the focus / feature full-width up top, then the 3-col grid below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

~m