Re: problems with facebook as a way to reach users

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:58:04AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZqXlHl65g>
[snip]
> The Fedora Page is doing pretty well. We have 40K+ people who've
> 'liked' the page.

But... see the video on the  value of that as a metric.

> We're consistently getting around 2K to 3.5K "people saw this post" on
> Facebook. And, as I mentioned in an earlier discussion, we're not
> doing very well at actually re-sharing things effectively from the
> Fedora Page to actually make it *more* effective.

I guess 2000-3500 people is not to be sneezed at. But I also don't think
"saw this post" should be mixed up with click-through, let alone engagement.
Click through is the percentage of people who _saw_ it who click.

> Advertisers are usually happy with a click-through or engagement rate
> that's much lower than about 7% of the audience. IIRC from my
> publishing days, a 2% CTR is extremely good - so getting a post in
> front of 7% of the audience at any given time is actually good.

The Heartbleed post was up there yesterday, and it got 19 likes (including
me) and 5 reshares (from people I recognize from this group, mostly). Since
we enabled the stats module on the magazine right around the same time of
the post, we've gotten *59* hits from Facebook (not just that post; all hits
we've tracked with this stats program). So, with 2100 views and depending on
what we count as a click, that's somewhere around 3% -- but only a fraction
a percent of the total number of likes.

> We have slightly fewer followers on Twitter, but we don't have any way
> to know how many people see our tweets. The Heartbleed update I
> tweeted on 8 April has 61 retweets. That's good on shares, but the
> nature of Twitter is much more ephemeral - the half-life of a tweet is
> much shorter than a FB post.

So far, we're getting an order of magnitude more hits on the magazine from
Twitter. (It is the #1 non-search referrer.) But we don't really have much
history to go on yet.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"