Re: Proposed Headline Style (Was Re: Standard Headlines for Fedora Magazine)

I agree with the mixed ap style Joe suggested.. I wouldn't go only with the first letter of the sentence cap-ed, because if the word 'Fedora' is somewhere in the middle(or any other word of such importance) it needs to be cap-ed. Also all caps will be tiring, as visitors won't be able to distinguish the "important" words in the headline. So again the "Mixed Ap style" would be great. :)

Zacharias Mitzelos

--- Original Message ---

From: "Gabriele Trombini" <mailga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: September 24, 2013 7:55 PM
To: "Fedora Marketing team" <marketing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proposed Headline Style (Was Re: Standard Headlines for Fedora     Magazine)

On 09/24/13 18:22, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 07:39:28PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 04:58:53PM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>>> Can we agree on a standard and stick with it?
>>> I'd like to suggest AP Style or all caps. Thoughts, comments, flames,
>>> votes?
>> AP Style!
> So, I actually mixed up AP Style with what I'm more familiar with. Let's
> call it Wired Magazine style. I'd like to propose we use a style similar
> to Wired.com. Examples:
>
> BlackBerry Agrees to Sell Itself for a Measly $5 Billion
> Here's How We'll Make Hardware Startups More Than Just a Fad
> How to Use Chrome for Quick, Deep Searches on Any Website
> What Pop Culture Will Look Like 300 Years From Now, According to Star Trek
>
> You can find more on this here:
>
> http://geekdad.hotwired.com/notes/Style_Guide
>
> (Note, I plan to borrow liberally from this for a Fedora style guide.)
>
> Best,
>
> jzb

New York Times seems giving you reason [1], but I like caps only for the
first letter:

Difference is that should be less confusing because you wrote:

BlackBerry Agrees to Sell Itself for a Measly .......

but maybe:

BlackBerry Agrees To Sell Itself For A Measly ........

If we don't read your link; and I'm not sure people wants read.

Anyhow in the howto we should write the Wired Style rules also in the
how to (or link the website) but this won't be immediate for the ones
writing posts for the first time.

We need something easier, without rules to learn.

Just between us, I like very much "Wired Magazine style". :-)

Gabri

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/