Re: "Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

On 11/29/2012 10:51 AM, Sarah White wrote:

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

    I wonder if the tenor of this
    conversation at numerous points would have been inhospitable to a
    newcomer.

IMO, yes. I've found parts of this thread to be discouraging toward
contributing to the Fedora project and community. If I were new to the
community, I'd now be hesitant to write any marketing materials,
documentation, wikipages, etc. because if I make a mistake - technical,
grammatical, or historical - I'm going to be personally disparaged in
public and my apologies ignored. Putting such pressure on community
members to be perfectly right all the time is going to bottleneck
participation and suck the enthusiasm out of contributors.

Then you misunderstood: what was talked here was not about the Fedora community, if the announcement would have made inside the community, the problem would have been corrected. So if you, Sarah, write a marketing material, put it on the wiki, pass it to the list for review and send it out after that (a normal community process), all is fine. But if you, whoever you may be, write a marketing material, make a big mistake in it and send it out on your own without community review... expect the reactions to be not so nice. What happened here was the later situation. We are a community, everybody makes mistakes, but if the work is done inside the community then in the end problems will be solved.

Please, please don't judge another community member's 'realness' or
dismiss their value to the project because you've never personally
interacted with them or because they make a mistake.

Note that it wasn't about a community member, the person joined the mailing list only after the incident. When the announcement was sent she was just an employee of our sponsor. She is new and inexperienced but being here she will hopefully learn more.