Open Marketing - openSUSE Conf 2010

 Dear All,

 I'm planning on submiting a paper for openSUSE Conf 2010[1] with the aim to unravel the 'concept of marketing' and it's usage by FOSS Communities. There are a couple of things that actually worry me regarding this paper[2] and specially it's name due to the resemblance of the concept 'open market'. Statements like:

"the art of convincing others they have a need for something... for which they have no need." (without source, I really would love to see who wrote it and reply on such statement)

 are faced by me, as written by someone with absolutely no idea on what Marketing is. This is actually a bad thing to think on Marketing (a science, not empirical knowledge) as a part of something which promotes sales. In other words: sales != trade. Those are very different concepts. And the concept of Marketing as actually evolved through times and from a perspective of a product (tangible) is now actually taking a new mutation into a service (intangible). One example of this is the Marketing Mix for Products (4/7 Ps) and for Services which extend up to 15Ps.

 I would like to develop a work about Marketing in OpenSource, but not supported on idealisms or philosophy, instead on scientific production work aiming to kill the gap that exists between some rather naive or obscure approach to certain therms.

 In another way, I want to collect information (scientific) that can reinforce this terminology (open marketing) and provide it with some scientific information aiming to give FOSS contributors a understandable relation between the traditional approaches to the concept of marketing (scientific) and the one provided on link [2], hoping to kill the gap that exists in misinformation regarding to this topics.

 All the information regarding open marketing will be very welcome. I'm asking this here, because I'm a Fedora contributor and at the same time a SuSE Linux legacy user, so there is a connection.

 Please deploy information. I will submit also the work submitted to openSUSE Program Committee[3] in my fedorapeople workspace and this list. I'm basing this paper on concepts collected here that I will take to two of my teachers for help in developing and providing sustainable scientific knowledge to back up this concept.

 Thanks in advance,
 nelson

[1] - http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Conf_2010
[2] - http://opensource.com/business/10/5/open-marketing-what-does-it-really-mean