Re: SWOT - Comparative Analysis

On Monday 14 June 2010 17:12:18 nelson marques wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  For SWOT (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/SWOT) and specially to
> comparative Analysis (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/SWOT#Comparative_Analysis) I need
> a couple of guidelines, for which I will not decide upon, since I'm not
> the most qualified person to engage or set on stone those.
>
>  I've proposed on the layout the following comparative analysis:
>
>  - Fedora and Ubuntu
>  - Fedora and openSuSE

Please spell is openSUSE.

>  - Fedora and Debian
>  - Fedora and Slackware
>  - Fedora and Arch Linux

I'm missing the way you came to select these, so let me just share with you
what we did at openSUSE to give a different perspective on this.

When openSUSE looked at that, we went a bit broader (see
http://en.opensuse.org/Documents/Strategy/Understand_the_industry#Direct_rivalry).
Microsoft with Windows, Apple with Mac OS X but also with iOS (iPad, iTablet)
are the real competition - and the markets we should try to tab into.

Regarding Linux there's also the big differentiation between paid and unpaid
Linux, so we discussed openSUSE vs. SUSE Linux Enterprise as well (in your
case that would be Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux).

Nelson, you're doing a thorough and great job!
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE,  aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany