Re: GNOME 3?

Il giorno mar, 19/01/2010 alle 08.33 -0600, Neville A. Cross ha scritto:

> I found Gnome-shell amusing, it is going away from simplicity and
> usability. For instance, not having a system menu make me nervous
> about accessing "desktop effect" to get rid of gnome-shell. Finally I
> use the search bar and it was quick. Not saying is bad, just
> different. Requires a learning process. Gnome has been work oriented
> and this has more bells and whistles. It is really eye catching.
>
> I went to a Ubuntu launch party, some one get a weird setup to get
> gnome-shell running (Fedora is easy). It really catch the attention of
> everybody.

Ok, we're going a bit offtopic here, but it's interesting nevertheless.

I'm not sure I like it, it has some interesting idea, but I find it
quite far from usable (ok, I've not tried it yet, just judging from the
videos, so I'm trying to hold by feelings on that for now).

What I don't understand, is why not get rid of the panel bar at this
point, the shell may be called by moving to some border, using a special
key/mouse combination, or via the window border (which is another
"obsolete" technology, but could serve a little more than just closing
applications at this point).

Cheers,
Mario
--