Re: Fedora 10 Tagline

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm already worried by how that will translate in italian...

I happen to like "Fedora 10. Fire it up." Or something short and crisp like it.

But Gianluca brings up a good point. Special care would have to be taken to translate "fire it up" correctly -- in this case meaning to start up (which is how I read it), rather than to set on fire. So defining "fire it up" for the benefit of those translating it into other languages -- as not to translate the phrase to come out "Fedora 10: Set it on fire" in another language -- might be a good idea.

Don't laugh: The advertising industry is full of ad campaigns that failed miserably because of inadequate translations from English into the language(s) where the campaign was targeted.

Of course, here in Santa Cruz, California, "fire it up" has a meaning that eclipses merely "starting up" -- namely, "firing it up" here refers to lighting a marijuana cigarette or a bowl of marijuana in a pipe. While I am not advocating marijuana use and certainly I do not partake of it myself, I can live with the snickers in the neighborhood -- okay, the snickers around California -- around the reference.

With Solar (which is very cool) and the fire theme so far -- and I'm not a Doors fan by any stretch of the imagination -- but would something like "Fedora 10: Light your fire" work? I'd be willing to bet "Light My Fire" has been translated into all human languages by now and we'd miss the "fire it up" translation hurdle.

Not a proposal here, just a thought.

Larry Cafiero