Re: eeedora 2.0 ?

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
I've always wondered why we don't use SVG wallpapers... Is it too much
resources consuming to redraw the wallpaper ?

The first problem is that sometime we make use of advanced features in SVG which are not rendered properly by Nautilus. And yes, for complex images the resource consumption *is* a problem.

On the other hand, those tiny-ultra-mini-extra-small-portable are not
racing horses, and they are more (at least to me) some kind of super
electronic note-books (I'm speaking about a real paper note-book, not
about a laptop). So maybe they don't need the animated wallpaper and a
static version could be provided.

I am not the expert to talk about that (and probably this is not the right place, most likely the desktop or devel list) but I think the animation is not a problem.

Maybe the best track would be to split the package. This would take the
same space on the media as all wallpapers should be included if we don't
want soemone to have a plain blue background, but at least, yum installs /
updates would not download the whole big almighty package...

Sometime the space on media is a problem (think about the LiveCD) and even the space on your hdd may be a problem (think at first gen Eee PC 701, with 2-4GB of storage).

And I think we want the default look and feel everywhere, this is our identity. But a spin (say a spin for ultraportables) can have (if I understood correctly) a different default (maybe a non-animated, small resolution version of the default wallpaper).