Re: Fedora and "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"

I agree with Rahul -- we need to frame this in a more positive tone. I think scheduling a phone call with Paul and the journalist would be a more effective vehicle. We could clear up any incorrect details and continue to build a good relationship with this journalist....all leading to positive (and accurate) coverage of Fedora in the future.

I'm offering up my help in scheduling this call.
-Kara

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Jonathan Roberts wrote:
--

[I would suggest starting out with a more positive tone. The website has been covering Fedora releases consistently and that press is a good thing even if do get some details wrong]

"...Red Hat has a preview of an upcoming Fedora Development release,
Version 9..."

Firstly, Fedora is not a Red Hat product but a community maintained
distribution of which the majority of packages (over 60%) are
maintained by non-Red Hat employees.

Throw in a link to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

"Fedora 8 is the currently available development release, which got
underway in April 2007 and which was launched last November. A lot of
the code that was hammered out in that Fedora 8 development release is
winding its way toward Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2"

The amount of actual code that flowed from Fedora 8 to RHEL 5.2 is pretty minor but the highlight that code flows to everywhere from upstream is a good point too.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but Fedora 9 will not be a
development release, and you're mis-representing the facts by
suggesting that the preview release is not even to be considered beta
software. The preview release is very close to what the final release
will be, and is where a huge number of bugs will be squashed to make
sure that the final release is on a par in terms of stability as well
as features with any other distribution.

This can be reworded as "Fedora 9 preview release follows the Fedora 9 Beta release as you can see from the release schedule at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule and as indicated in the announcement is close to the general release of Fedora. We appreciate your corrections to this article and feel free to get back to us on any additional information or clarifications you might want about Fedora 9 in particular and Fedora Project in general.

Rahul

--
Kara Schiltz
Corporate Communications