Re: Boxed version of Fedora

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

As the current FAQ maintainer and the one who added that particular answer to the FAQ, let me point out some details for additional context.

When Red Hat decided to create the Red Hat Linux Project which later got renamed in Fedora Project, Red Hat published this particular answer as a result of it's experience (and dealing with loses in a retail product) while creating Red Hat Linux releases roughly twice a year and I copied it over from http://fedora.redhat.com pages when I created the FAQs since I knew that site was going away soon at that time.

A lot of details have changed and Fedora Project of today is a different beast (or angel if you will). We could certainly reevaluate our considerations and IMO we should.

It is worth pointing out that you did not have experience from inside of
a rapidly moving distribution trying also to be a retail boxed product,
right? There were very good reasons that model was a PITA and it was
dropped, reasons that haven't changed since then.

Depends on the reasons. Some of them like the pain of commercially supporting a retailed box product that gets released frequently does not apply to Fedora. If you have a Fedora store, selling a box as one of several items available seems very logical and what users would expect.

Rahul