Re: Distrowatch on Fedora this year

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Laith Juwaidah wrote:

All distros have the System > Preferences menu, yet, they have a central configuration menu, if that is what users want, why don't we give it to them? We can make it a package by itself so that those who don't want it can remove it!

Patches welcome.

Look, it's a matter of who is willing to do the work. I hear the occasional person say "gee, we should have something more like YaST." But then when someone says "well, why don't you port YaST to Fedora?" the conversation suddenly stops.

Why don't other Fedora engineers do the work? Because other Fedora engineers are working on things that they are passionate about. And a YaST clone isn't really on that list.

So go make it happen. And if you're not actually an engineer, that's fine; go find someone who is an engineer, agrees with you, and volunteer to be the guy who does testing and documentation, and then go blog all about how awesome FaST is. :)

--g

(Warning: it's an unholy bitch to keep a tool like YaST working properly as things change -- inevitable as you increase the layers of code indirection. And when YaST breaks something, YaST breaks it all to pieces. That's the bit that YaST fans never talk about.)

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager