Re: Fedora Life Cycle

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira wrote:

I'm thinking about the Fedora Life Cycle and i have some conclusions:

- - 13 months is a very short life cycle time and it's a bad thing
thinking in the Fedora Marketing (I am constantly asked about it in my
lectures).
- - with this short time we cannot use Fedora in production servers. In
Brazil we have BIG FEDORA CASES and it's a major concern of Brazilian TI
Managers.
- - many of linux distributions has more than 13 months of life cycle

So,how can we extend that life cycle to increase for at least 2 years by
release?

IMHO, we should do this!!

Appreciate the enthusiasm, Rodrigo, but again:

The goal of Fedora is rapid innovation.

The goal of RHEL/Centos is long-term supportability.

These two goals tend to be mutually exclusive.

The Fedora Legacy project tried to maintain Fedora releases for a longer period of time. Legacy failed because no one volunteered to support it. Why? Because they were all using Centos.

IMHO, it's far more interesting -- and useful -- to make upgrades work flawlessly.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager