Re: Freedom is *just* a Feature?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:28:23 +0200
Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You've nailed it, this is a slogan for english computer jargon
> speakers. In other words a slogan for hardcore technophiles. I don't
> think we want to restrict our audience to hardcore technophiles (at
> least one of our major derivatives, OLPC, doesn't)

I think it's going to be nearly impossible to come up with one slogan
that works across the world and isn't so completely generalized and/or
incomprehensible (make up your own words) to make any kind of impact to
anybody in any language.

So again I ask, what is so terrible if English printed stuff uses
'Freedom is a Feature' and things printed in other languages use a
slogan that is suitable for that language?  I would hope and expect
that the English speaking constituents wouldn't block a slogan in
another language just because it may translate poorly to English, so I
expect the return.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)