Re: Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:46:57AM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
Or are you just remarking on the perceived irony of a phrase containing the word "freedom" being considered a form of intellectual property?
This point exactly. With other slogans, I'd be less concerned. With this slogan, the idea of protecting the mark gives me some pretty serious heartburn.

Maybe we could leave off the TM but include somewhere some lighthearted fine
print about it being a trademark irony notwithstanding and we know that
sounds silly but hey, gotta use the law to protect freedom too. I'm too
tired to be really witty right now but maybe someone else can pick up from
there. :)

while the slogan is a pretty nice statement of a defining quality of fedora - omfg will the world end if someone else uses it?

e.g., if $DISTRO starts using it AND actually backs it by you know, not shipping patent-infringing codecs in their distro... well isn't that what we WANT? you know, others to follow our lead? and, if they pick up the slogan and continue to produce a not entirely free distro, well they just look stupid then! :)

~m