Re: Legal Codecs Needed

Markus McLaughlin wrote:
What makes Windows/MAC more successful is they encourage third party developers to sell legal plug-ins/codecs allowing MP3, DVD, HD-DVD to be played. Fedora, Ubuntu, and the other major Linux Distributions lack this so illegal means are common. It is time for third party developers to
sell codecs for the major Linux distributions thus ending the illegal route.

They already do. See http://fluendo.com for example. What third party developers do isn't really on topic for this list.

Also, the ogg theora codec isn't ready for prime time yet, I hope it will be fully able for Fedora 8 and beyond.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy

There also should be a GNOME app that encodes DV to OGG.  I
wish there was
an OGG codec equivalent of Flash for web sites, that would be very ideal...

Both of these are already available in the repositories. Here is a FAQ I wrote on the subject

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_47_5781.shtm

Some other references:

http://www.gnomefiles.org/category.php?cat_id=12
http://directory.fsf.org/audio/ogg/