Re: How to compete against Ubuntu

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:42 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> I am also somewhat feed-up with Ubuntu fanboys on a lot of forums and
> the web filled with brown screenshots.

Every distro has its fanboys, and many not only go overboard, but start
stating technical specifics that are just dead wrong.

There's nothing more frustrating than trying to explain to an ignorant
"source build system" distro fanboy the difference between ISA
extensions and ISA optimizations when it comes to performance.  And I'm
a huge fan of that "source build system" distro myself (and even share
publication credits with its creator).

The key is to ignore them.  Every distro has them, even Fedora.  Heck,
one day they praise you, the next day they criticize you.  I'd just
rather they not be so "manic-depressive" in the first place.  ;)

> But my may to deal with it is to show how useful is Fedora for *me* and
> how proud I am in using it. I put online *a lot* of content (like
> http://howto.nicubunu.ro/) created using Fedora and showing a Fedora
> look and feel as close as possible to the default.

Helping others work and get things done is the key.  Everything else is
subjective marketing.  As I mentioned before, I've had enough of that in
the commerceware and hostageware world.  ;)

Glad to see you are putting some things down on how you work.  That's
always a great thing.  In fact, and more selfishly, do you have anything
on RAW conversion tools (DCRAW/UFRAW), CinePaint and its HDR
plug-in?  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx   http://thebs413.blogspot.com