Re: Infinite Freedom???

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
On 6/18/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-adf31c383612aac313719f7b4f8167b7dcf245d2

FSF position on this seems to be rather inconsistent to me since they
have endorsed certain distributions as Free even if they include such
firmware in the kernel inherited from upstream.

They have? Where?

As far as I know the only GNU/Linux distribution currently endorsed by
the FSF is gNewSense.  gNewSense ships a patched kernel which removes
all the blobs.

See http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions. All the distributions except maybe gNewSense (I asked for more information but didn't get any detailed response) have such firmware in them.

If you are aware of anything in gNewSense which isn't consistent with
the position that user loadable firmware needs to be free, please let
them know.. I'm sure they will be glad to fix it.

They have already been informed personally by me on several occasions and they haven't fixed it. You might want to do some cross checking yourself before making claims.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FreeSoftwareAnalysis

I think it is past due for Fedora to take at least a half-step and
segregate the non-free firmware into separate packages which can be
excluded at install time.

The in-kernel firmware? It's not a easy process. See Fedora Advisory Board list archives for details.

Rahul