Re: rotating banners, first idea

chasd wrote:
All layouts need "breathing space" however that top area is prime visual real estate. I think adding a tag line to that area would benefit the layout ( of all the pages, even if no banner is used ).

What do you think about having some promos/banners/etc that have very strict visual style guidelines (eg must have a particular light-colored background and a particular (let's say light grey) foreground in this area? See the updated new-mock-2 (and squint and pretend the dj promo is much much lighter :) ):

http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/new-mock-2.png

- http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/new-mock-2.png  (along top of page)
   - im afraid this is going to be too busy unless the banners are
carefully designed to not stand out in comparison to the main banner.

+1

I think the banner is too close to the title graphic, they compete visually. If the separation line between the top part of the page with the logo and the banners could be a little stronger, that might help. I feel the first mock up to be a stronger possibility.

+1 I agree.

I took the liberty of moving the headline above the title graphic to demonstrate what adding _something_ to the blank area at the top could do to balance the layout for mock up number one. I placed it on the website of the company I work for -
<http://www.silveroaks.com/images/new-mock-4cd.png>

Very nice, I like this! Much better balanced.

Apologies if my comments are out of line, or if I have violated some rule established for the design of the web site.

+1 this is *great* feedback and I think you were able to verbalize what was wrong with each mock really well. I was uncomfortable with each one and not quite how to explain why; your explanations are great.
~m