Re: New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Hi Hugo,

Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
Looking today at the proprietary image format about a new Wiki design, I realized that the design itself isn't following the "clear space" guideline too. Ironic.

To be fair about the PSD format wiki design mockups.... You need to show/hide layers in that PSD to be able to view the entire design. An open format that Photoshop can actually handle like PNG wouldn't work, right, since it's flat[1]? The GIMP opens the PSD and is able to display these layers, no problem. Since they were created in Adobe Photoshop (I'm assuming)... Photoshop doesn't exactly allow you to save as or export to XCF (the GIMP's native format.)

I absolutely agree, though, that we should be using open formats whenever possible (the 'dogfood' principle [2])!! How can we expect open formats to flourish if *we*, of all people, don't use them?

Anyhow, I uploaded an XCF version [3] of the design. :)

~m

[1] Well ok, so Macromedia Fireworks actually has add-on layering support for PNGs, but I'm pretty sure this isn't portable to other programs.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_one's_own_dog_food
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiElements?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Fedora_Wiki_page_design.xcf