Re: New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

From: Gain Paolo Mureddu :

I understand about this, but the problem is that printing houses don't.
They mostly use PMS and especially down here (Mexico City) it is a
problem.

As someone that has been both a buyer of printing services and a provider of printing services, the printer does not drive the accuracy of color reproduction, the designer does. Some designers are willing to accept what color accuracy a given printer provides by default. It is my opinion that is a terrible thing to do. The print buyer is in a position to refuse a job if color accuracy is not acceptable. The tools used are not an excuse for poor project management.

Even Adobe native formats have problems

I have never personally had a problem with the native formats of Adobe graphic tools in over 16 years using them.

as most print houses
use Corel tools.

That is unfortunate, Corel tools are considered second rate in the graphics industry for a reason. That is not to say you can't do good design with Corel tools, or that they always cause problems. It is more difficult to get consistent work from Corel tools in my experience.

Inkscape 0.43-3.fc5, x86_64.

The infinity symbol freshly opened, I get the following values (from
RGBA to Hex):
Background (bubble)

RGBA: 5 43 97 255
HSL: 152 230 51 255
CYMK: 97 55 0 62 100
Hex: 002b61ff

Infinity symbol:

RGBA: 10 87 164 255
HSL: 149 226 87 255
CYMK: 95 48 0 36 100
Hex: 0856a4ff

Freedom "f":

RGBA: 255 255 255 255
HSL: 0 0 255 255
CYMK: 0 0 0 100
Hex: ffffffff

Hmm, interesting. I know that Inkscape pulls in a color management library when it is installed, perhaps there is a difference in the configuration of that system between our two computers. I don't have the time to research that right now.

Still I found have some questions
about background color and the symbol... As I noticed in the default
splash screen, boot screen and wallpaper: The infinity symbol has both a
highlight and a white border to prevent it be lost in the darker blue
background.

This is a separate issue from the format in which the logo is supplied.

My question would be: For darker backgrounds, could we add a
light/white border to better outline the symbol so it won't be lost and
keep deffinition? That would be editing the symbol, true, but it would
also make it more visible (or simply visible).

Doing that is technically against the usage guide. That is why I would like to have only certain backgrounds be acceptable. Alternatively, it should be specified how to handle backgrounds that can make the logo unreadable, or a special logo that has a white outline or glow built-in.

Those are binary structures ( CDATA ) that are used instead of ( or in
addition to ) the SVG when the file is re-opened in Illustrator.
If you use a text editor to cut out those entries, InkScape is still
happy.
But that would be editing the original files, which I thought was
strictly forbidden by the guidelines...

Yes, I mentioned that not to suggest you do that, but to illustrate that the CDATA is not a necessary part of the file to maintain its compatibility with the SVG spec.

let those who
control the graphics politics for Fedora, handle this, remove those
extra instructions, and may be provide two versions of the files: One in
native Adobe format, and one in "pure" SVG format.

Yes, I agree. Because the SVG was created in a way that included a significant amount of data extraneous to the SVG specification, it would be better for that file to be "cleaned up" for distribution. Native program files would be a good idea too, as well as formats that are better for some other common use cases, like EPS for print.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265