Fwd: [SATLUG] Fedora 5 Impressions

This was the first review to pass through the San Antonio LUG.  I figured I'd
share.  :-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64@xxxxxxxxx

http://www.n-man.com/

http://rate.affero.net/nman64/
--

--- Begin Message ---
Ok, I just got finished installing Fedora Core 5 on my Dell D600

*  The upgrade went fairly smooth, except for the fact that my root
partition didn't have enough room for the installer files.  When I
first partitioned this hard drive, I thought six gigabytes would be
enough!  I had to uninstall some things to make enough room for the
installer image.  Once I did that it continued along smoothly.  Word
to the wise - make sure if you have a separate root partition that
it's at least 8 gigabytes, especially if you're installing lots of
software.

*  The new logo and login screen are pretty.  Lots of bubbles and
curves everywhere.

*  GNOME 2.14 is pretty snappy.  The menus pop up more quickly than
they did with the previous version on Fedora Core 4.

*  Some other minor changes I noticed were different mouse cursor
effects, menu items have been juggled around (again), and there is now
a graphical frontend for yum called pup.  I probably won't use it as
the command line suits me better, but I can see how it would be more
friendly for newbies.

*  The update broke my proprietary ATI graphics driver.  I haven't
tried reinstalling it yet.

*  Firefox and Thunderbird have been upgraded to version 1.5.

*  I installed ndiswrapper from source with no problems at all, and am
writing this over my wireless connection.

In the "still broken" department:

*  Sound schemes (such as the terminal beep) still don't work.  I
don't know why - I can play music and my instant messenger sounds
work.  But I don't get any of the default system sounds.

*  ACPI.  It's funky.  I sort of have it working but it often locks up
my computer or kills my wireless driver requiring a reboot to get it
working again.  So I don't use suspend or hibernate at all.

Overall I would not recommend upgrading from FC3 or FC4, especially
for server use.  We're keeping our end-users on FC3 for the
foreseeable future.

Thanks

Sean