First look: Fedora Core 5

Hello Bruce Byfield,

Thank you for taking the time to review Fedora Core 5 (test 2) and I would like to offer my feedback and comments on the review . My first reaction to seeing this title is confusion over a review about a release that hasnt been made yet. It would been much better to clarify upfront that you are reviewing the second test release. Anaconda not listing reisferfs or other filesystems besides Ext3/ext2 by default is by design since these are not supported by the Fedora project and the provision to install Fedora on other filesystems are only provided for facilitating easy migration. The review says that Anaconda has a long standing problem that crashes if the CD requires cleaning. However I havent run into problem myself. It would be good if you can file a bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com regarding this to verify and fix this issue.

Desktop and software selection

The review notes that SELinux slows down GNOME by 60% and this claim is unsubstantiated in the absence of any benchmarks. The second test release had various debugging options which helped find and fix various bugs during the development cycle. An example of such a analysis from Dave Jones, Fedora Kernel maintainer at Red Hat can be found at http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/35270.html. It is very likely that you have seen a slowdown trigged by such debugging patches. Various SELinux performance improvements have also been merged during the comparatively long development cycle of Fedora Core 5.

Fedora Core 5 does not have XFCE which is only provided in the Fedora Extras repository. KDE and XFCE are not branded to look like GNOME in Fedora. XFCE and KDE uses BlueCurve while GNOME uses the new Cairo based Clearlooks theme as an example of the differences between them.

We do not have detailed performance comparisons between GCJ and Sun Java yet since the current development is focused on completeness and coverage over the standard API in preference to tweaking the performance but if there are significant differences, do let the Fedora Java development team (http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list) know about it.

Sabayon and Alacarte is offered in Fedora Extras repository though Alacarte is not part of GNOME 2.14 as claimed in the review. Festival, drivers for wacom project and ruby are not new to Fedora Core 5 and have been part of every Fedora release. Ruby does not replace GCJ based applications either.

Yum does not replace RPM as claimed in the review and only complements it by adding a automatic dependency resolving tool which uses RPM internally. Pirut only provides a timer with a ability to confirm immediately when there is a additional dependency that is required to update or install a package and does not hide dependencies.

Security and Administration

system-config-kickstart is not a new tool and again has been in every release of Fedora and Pirut does list dependencies when required which you have even noted earlier as a annoyance.

Recommendations

The system specifications indicated in the release notes are targeted towards the default package profile and any distribution providing the latest versions of GNOME and KDE would require a very similar configuration to perform well and this does not differ very from from the latest version of Debian or Ubuntu. Fedora Core along with extras offers a choice of several thousand packages and can be tailored to fit the beginner or the super geek.

It would help avoid several of these factual mistakes and provide more details if you can contact me during your review period on future occasions. Thank you for your interest in Fedora.

--
Rahul