Re: Fedora rescue CD

Jesse Keating wrote:

Hi

Distrowatch has some information on one of the new less known improvements to the Fedora Rescue CD effort.

" One of the new features of Fedora <http://distrowatch.com/fedora> Core 5, expected to enter a second testing phase next week, is a new rescue CD. Although not much information has been published about the features and goals of this Fedora sub-project, it is likely to become an important tool for all Red Hat and Fedora system administrators and therefore we thought it deserved some publicity. The first test release of the Fedora rescue CD was announced <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg00095.html> last week and several new builds have been released since then. The latest release, dated 8 January, appears to be built for x86_64 processors, but the developers are planning to produce a rescue CD for all three supported architectures. You can find the 70 MB ISO image in the /fedora/linux/development/isos/ directory on your favourite Fedora mirror <http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html>."

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060109

Wow, I love how people can get things wrong.  The i386 rescue CD has
been in place for a long time now, not exactly sure how long.  All I was
doing is turning on some code to generate the x86_64 version, and
writing some code to generate the PPC one.  It's not like this is a new
thing...
Its not a new thing and distrowatch does indeed seem to have that impression which I believe merely shows a wider issue. There are a large number of people who are aware of installation features such as boot and rescue images as well as kickstart. If these are not being prominently shown in the download pages and documented well in the installation guides it could be. There is definitely room for improvement.

--
Rahul