Re: Mailing lists, redux

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:40 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> 1. Continuing to host mailing lists at Red Hat.  This is the easiest
> option, and considering that Red Hat sponsors lots of mailing lists, no
> big deal, really.  We've got a good infrastructure for getting them
> created relatively quickly.

This seems like the best to me.  As you say there is lots of
infrastructure, and past has proved that RH can allow non@redhat people
administrate the lists.  It also ensures the same sort of look/feel of
all the lists involved.

> 2. Move mailing lists to fedoraproject.org.  Other than independence from
> redhat.com, what does this buy us?  What is this independence from
> redhat.com worth?  And is Seth even willing/able to maintain this?

Seems this would just be a perception thing.  There may be cases where
software upgrades might happen quicker, but I don't really know if that
is a real issue or not.  Also it puts a lot of expectation on Seth.  I'd
want to wait until there is more resources surrounding fedoraproject.org
before wholesale cutover.  But thats just my opinion.

> 3. Have mailing lists anywhere and everywhere; whoever wants to set up a
> mailing list can set up a mailing list, and we can link them all and note
> them as "authoritative project list" or not as we see fit.

I don't like this idea at all.  Decentralized, difficult to aggregate,
user non-intuitive, etc...

Was I helpful?  Let others know: