Re: Selling systems with Fedora preloaded.

Patrick Barnes wrote:

As yet-another-workaround that is technically legal, you can offer all of your changes to Fedora as a separate service that can be conducted before dispatching the system. Basically, you sell the person the computer, give them Fedora for free, and bundle a free service of the modifications to Fedora. You would, of course, have to allow your customers to opt out of these changes, but it is a trivial way to work around the current guidelines. You could produce a CD and instructions to go along with the systems that allow the users to replicate the changes on their own, but you cannot apply these changes to the Fedora CDs you provide.

Note that this does not solve your legal concerns with regard to bundling third-party and patent-encumbered software. Those are issues you must address separately. Be sure to investigate the legal and liability ramifications in your locale of adding patent-encumbered software like MP3 and DVD support. It may be illegal for you to bundle these things just like it is for Red Hat to do so. I'm not familiar with Mexico's policies with regard to the United States' software and process patents.

That was exactly what I meant, just by taking advantage of the "Install extra CDs" in Anaconda.

Down here it is pretty much the same as in the US. That's why I thought of RealPlayer and DVD support to be left as a per user option... or not inlcuded at all... Which might just be what we'll end up doing.