Re: Linux format review: Fedora Core 4

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

 > Software shelved:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20050711#1
It has been that mentioned many packages like Abiword, Exim, XEmacs and XFCE has moved into extras as a effort to reduce bloat and this would be a problem for users who want to retrieve such packages over a dial up connection. I dont buy this argument. Lets assume for a moment that Fedora Core 4 included all of these packages in a 5 CD collection without moving anything to the extras repository, would users with a dial up connection be able to download it then?.

This argument is valid. Dial-up users does not download isos over their dial-up connection, they either 1) download at other place (at work, a friend), 2) borrow and copy the discs or 3) wait (in my country like 3 or 4 months after a release) for a computer magazine to come out with the discs included. So for them the content of the install set is very important.

1) and 2) can be done for individual packages too. In fact for both these cases, downloading what they want instead of whole ISO images makes a lot more sense

regards
Rahul