Re: My brain dump (i.e. our marketing plan)

If this post is out of place, please forgive me.

     * Marketing via a LiveCD - developer's don't find this terribly
       useful, but its a great marketing tool. Now, we need to leverage
pushing this towards being done.

Oh, this is essential.  Anyone who says it's not useful in many ways is
not on this planet and should be ignored for this subject. ;-P

I know there are technical hurdles and the like, and it must include a
usable OO.o.  Knoppix STD works great for me personally, but I *know* I
could convert people if I could just boot Fedora Core on their machines
in a non-destructive manner.  At US$.015 a live CD, that's some cheap
propaganda.

- Karsten
I'd like to second Karsten's words on this one. I use Fedora in a variety of classes, and I hit newbie questions all the time. Here are some big issues:

-- Lack of time to download four or more CD images, burn them, and resolve any IDE DMA false failures in mediacheck. -- Fear of corrupting a work PC/laptop/home computer that would be hard to do without. -- Residual fear of "blowing up the monitor". A surprising number of people I meet have heard such horror stories from long ago. -- General inability to gain ground and sort through installation issues. If you have never seen a UNIX system or Linux before, trying to navigate through anaconda and (especially) Disk Druid is pretty baffling. When I started out, I saw a lot of people who had some UNIX experience, and who wanted to learn (basically) how close Linux comes to behaving like their venerable OS. But now, more and more I find students who have never ever seen a UNIX system. They want to learn Linux, but without exposure to UNIX, many concepts are quite foreign.

A live CD for Fedora can help new users avoid a lot of complexity and frustration while they learn the basics. I'd love it.

Erik