Re: fedoraproject.org

seth vidal wrote:

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 03:39 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:

I have been looking over the many Fedora-related sites and gathering
information about what is out there and how it is organized.  I have
been trying to determine what really needs improvement and how that
improvement can be achieved.  I had some thoughts relating to
http://fedoraproject.org and posted them to fedora-docs-list, and it was
suggested that I send them here (fedora-marketing-list) instead.  I have
also sent this message to Seth Vidal.  Below is an excerpt from my
original post:

I'm not sure how many people actually use this base URL, but it needs
some loving.

One idea that I had is that this URL could redirect to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ and that the Wiki's front page could
feature all of the existing links, with a brief description.  This would
allow easier maintenance, and would automagically make the page more
useful.

With Red Hat announcing the creation of The Fedora Foundation, it seems
like Fedora's information will eventually move away from
fedora.redhat.com to its own domain.  I don't know if this would be
fedoraproject.org or something entirely different.  If the migration is
to fedoraproject.org, then my above suggestion would not create any
problems.  Simply removing the redirect and dropping content similar to
fedora.redhat.com would be acceptable.  The Wiki and the rest of the
fedoraproject.org hierarchy would not conflict with the content
currently at fedora.redhat.com, and links could be added to whatever
main page is at the base URL to direct people to the current
fedoraproject.org content.  If anyone needs any clarification on my
thinking, drop me a line.

Here's what I think:
I agree with you about the fedoraproject.org page needing to be more
useful.

 Put together a prototype for the front page. I think doing it all
exclusively in the wiki will result in a fairly ugly webpage but I'm
open to give it a try.

Set yourself up a wiki account, I'll give you privs to change a page and
you make a 'newfrontpage' page and we'll work from there to see if it
works.

It's a good place to start and if it all looks well I'll do the leg work
to turn it into  the main page.

sound cool?

-sv

Sounds good to me.  My wiki account is PatrickBarnes.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64@xxxxxxxxx

www.n-man.com