Re: Self Introduction: Christopher Thielen

On 08/10/2016 10:38 PM, Christopher Thielen wrote:
Hi Fedora Games SIG,

My name is Christopher Thielen. I'm a 30 year old programmer working for
the University of California. I've been using Red Hat flavors of Linux
since I got my hands on Red Hat Linux 7.0 circa 2000.

I created a game called Epiar (http://epiar.net) back in 2001 or so
which saw most of its activity between 2002 and 2006. I've been working
on the codebase in my off hours and hope to package it up for Fedora
after its next release (2017?). It's a clone of games similar to Escape
Velocity, Wing Commander: Privateer, etc. I hope to get it finished up
one day.

Besides that, I've been lurking on this mailing list as I'm interested
in seeing more open source games get packaged and thrive. I think
there's a really honest, independent game development community in the
open source world that I enjoy seeing. It's a terrific form of
self-expression and fun.

So, hello all,
Christopher Thielen

Hello Christopher, and welcome to the Games SIG mailing list! Happy to have you here with us.

Sounds like you definitely have a fair amount of experience with gaming on Linux over the past fifteen years. ;) I think packaging your game is probably a good goal to set for the short-term and it's something I'd love to see in the goal of bringing more FOSS games to Linux and Fedora specifically. For your own reference, the next Fedora release (F25) is due in November, with the next release (F26) following six months after.

I'm hoping to work on proposing a meeting time soon for us to get together as a SIG and set some goals to achieve in this release cycle in the next. Hoping to see you around here, and don't forget to come visit #fedora-games on IRC and say hello, if you have not already!

Thanks, and welcome, again. :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory