Re: SFML anyone?

Hi,

On 08-02-16 14:43, Dennis Payne wrote:
I've ported Ostrich Riders to the latest SFML. When I run it, I get a
window saying:

“Ostrich Riders 0.6.1” is not responding.

You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the
application to quit entirely.

The program is running fine despite the warning. If you click wait you
can continue on your merry way. However, I don't find that acceptable.
Does anyone what can be done to prevent this? I tried a simple example
for SFML I found online. It too caused the popup. Both functions use
sf::RenderWindow::pollEvent. Using sf::RenderWindow::waitEvent doesn't
have that problem but the program won't work properly that way. Does
anyone know of programs in Fedora using SFML? Do they have this
problem?

marsshooter:

http://mars-game.sourceforge.net/

Is in Fedora (and also in Debian), is using SFML-2.3.2 and does not have this problem.

I've not look at which method it is using to poll for events. Can you specify
a mask which events to poll for ? Maybe you're not polling for the event which
the window-manager uses to determine a window is still alive ?

Or maybe the internal implementations of the 2 are different and only
waitEvent contains code to deal with these window-manager events ?

I do wonder why you cannot use waitEvent though, polling sounds like
busy waiting which is generally sub-optimal.

Regards,

Hans