Re: Should Fedora become upstream for "chess"

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 19:47:41 +0100,
  Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@xxxxxx> wrote:

> True, otoh if it aint broken don't fix it, seriously you are very welcome to do
> this, but is it worth the effort. I'm sure their are games more deserving attention
> like this, which are in a similar situation. What I usually do, is just keep them
> building with the latest toolchains, fixing things like compiler warnings when

I think I can use it to help test and learn ogre stuff, so I think it is a
close call.

> I think this problem is bigger then just chess, but if you feel like cleaning
> up chess and starting a fedora hosted project for it by all means, please do.

I'll contact the original developer to see if he objects to Fedora becoming
an upstream for the game (at least for linux, I am not planning on cross
compiling windows builds).

> >It looks like it tries to use some fonts that were stripped out and fallback
> >to something else isn't happening.
> >

> This might just be another mesa ogre conflict, all text in the game works fine
> for me (when testing on an nvidia equiped machine with their binary driver, I
> usually don't test with Intel / ATI, as in my experience that results in a 1 frame
> per 2 - 3 seconds slideshow.

It is pretty slow on my rv280, but I can test it occasionally on an rv530.
I also have some nv28 cards that I can test stuff on from time to time.
(Currently I don't have nVidia's drivers installed so that I can test
nouveau without worrying about interference from nVidia's stuff.)

> >I don't think there is currently a way to change the orge.cfg file (which
> >specifies some OpenGL configuration) once it has been set up. There may be
> >some way to access this again from inside chess, but with the fonts not
> >appearing to work, I can't tell what options are available.
>
> There is no easy way to change ogre.cfg after the first run, note that all
> ogre apps seem to suffer from this, so we may want to work on a more generic
> solution for this.

Are you thinking a separate set up script sort of like vegastrike does?

Would there be one tool for all ogre stuff or would we try to push upstream
changes per package? (There don't seem to be many things using ogre currently.)