Using autodownloaded data system wide

Since the autodownloader stuff came up, I thought I'd ask if there is
an easy way to install autodownloaded data system wide for most games
that use this feature?

I ask because I found that for uqm the data get's put in the person's
home directory and didn't see any options for doing anything else. Nor
did I see any script that would allow root to copy the data someplace
else to make the data available to all users.

I filed a futurefeature request (498733) againts uqm for this, but was
wondering if this case was more the exception than the rule?