Re: Games Spin status update

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:34 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:38:20 +0100,
>   Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
> >> Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
> >> bootup?
> >
> > Only on ati r3xx - r5xx based cards. There have been a lot of X changes
> > in F-10, does the regular Fedora 10 livecd run properly on that system ?
>
> I tried it on an r5xx card and got the same thing. I haven't seen the real
> solaris so maybe it is doing the right thing and I was just expecting more.
>
> Still no X, a slow boot and prefdm respawning fast enough to get warnings about
> it.
>
> I'll grab the normal livecd and see how that works in a day or so.

The pretty Solar plugin never works on the F10 livecd. This is expected
behavior, due to the fact that we didn't have time to work out a clean
way for the livecd to load the DRM kernel modules necessary for Kernel
ModeSetting to kick in at boot. KMS does load on the livecd, but not
before plymouth starts (it loads once the livecd mounts the root
filesystem and udev loads the DRM modules).

~spot